From the ARGH Files: Laptop Going Back

I just unpacked my beautiful new laptop, yesterday. And it is beautiful. It scared me how pretty it was. lol. The screen is awesome. It’s a beast, but it’s terrific and just what I need. After I had unpacked it, sorted the papers, placed all of the accessories in my new laptop bag, configured all of the initial setup options and got rid of anything on there I didn’t want and got past half way as far as installing my software… I noticed something. A red dot on the screen. Nooooooooooooo.

I called support and while I was talking to the lady, I noticed a light blue dot, too. She directed me to HP Shopping. I was on the phone for an hour and 25 minutes total, but it’s all sorted. Nice people, but they had to go through various processes, etc. That’s fine, I’m a patient guy. This is what will be happening.

1. They have placed a new order for the exact same laptop. I will be charged the full price. The great coupon I had used will not be applied (but, I will get the money, see below). Meanwhile, the original charge will remain on my credit card (again, see below). This order has been confirmed and the laptop is being built and will be shipped as soon as possible.

2. I have packed up the laptop as best as I could, getting all of the papers (including the Vonage ad out of the garbage! :)) and accessories back in the box, sealing it and printing a label that HP sent to me. I’m hoping to get out today to drop it off at a FedEx place.

3. As soon as the laptop arrives at HP, they will refund the initial charge.

4. As soon as the new laptop ships, they will issue a credit to my credit card, refunding the money that I saved using the coupon code.

I had to split the charge over two cards, but it’s all going to work. The end result is that I’ll get my laptop. Hopefully, with no defective pixels.

Patrick O'Keefe

Managing online communities since 2000, I publish a collective of websites known as the iFroggy Network. I wrote the book Managing Online Forums and, as a public speaker, have presented for organizations like CNN, institutions like Australian National University and conferences like SXSW. More about me.

7 Comments

James Dasher

about 13 years ago

At least I'm not the only one ;-) This will be the second time I'm returning an HP laptop, (though mine is for a different reason). Yay for my third one! Ugh! They weren't willing to give me the same discount, all they would offer me was 25% off not 30% close, but still around $150 dollars different.

Patrick

about 13 years ago

Hey James, That stinks. It really does. I was so disappointed last night when I realize that the screen was defective. Is that the third time on the same laptop? As far as not giving you the same discount... that's just unacceptable. No way. Patrick

James Dasher

about 13 years ago

FIrst one was the dv9000 it had defective audio issues...returned that to the store I bought it from for a refund after 3 months of trying to get it fixed. Second one was the current one a dv9500cto I'm returning it because the 64bit actually did rise up and bite me...I use an Apple iPhone as my PDA/Phone, and it's a completely no go to sync with 64bit windows right now with it, which is a deal killer for me as I use it for calendar, contacts, etc. So returning this one and doing the same thing you are ordering a new one, separate billing. Next one will be Vista Business Edition (32 bit) hopefully that will solve my problems. Was on with HP today about a total of 4 hours going through section after section...ugh! Originally they were only going to offer me the $150 dollar discount they have on the site...quite persistant, but I rode that one out and got them to give me 25% off...still not 30% which frustrated me seeing as I am well within my 21 day return period.

Patrick

about 13 years ago

Ah, so the one you are returning now wasn't defective, just currently incompatible with the iPhone. Got you. Well, I'm glad you got the 25%. Still a good amount of money. Hope it works out. Patrick

Ryan

about 13 years ago

Wow, sorry you've had so much trouble. I hope everything works out in the end, for all the inconvenience it still sounds good. (With the credit and "refund" per se). Good luck though!

Brad Kelly

about 13 years ago

Sorry to hear about the laptop! Part of my job involves logging and following up support cases with our various hardware vendors, and HP has by far been the most unpleasant to deal with. I dread calling HP, and probably have enough horror stories to write a book. For a while there was a "no HP" sign (similar graphically to a no smoking sign) on my cubicle wall.

Patrick

about 13 years ago

Thanks for the comments Brad and Ryan. Brad, I've been using Compaqs and HPs for a long time and I've actually been pretty happy with them. Support in this case was really very good. Sorry to her you've had trouble. Patrick

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. If you would like to comment, I welcome you to do so. Please keep in mind that the atmosphere here is kind, respectful and work appropriate. If you can't disagree without being polite, this probably isn't the best place to comment.

I'm probably more strict as far as advertising goes than other sites you've commented on. If you aren't sure if something is OK, please contact me privately (rather than in the comments) or read the full Comment Guidelines. Participation constitutes acceptance of the guidelines.