Well, I’ve optimized ads on my sites now. This amounted to the following:
– ValueClick out of the chain on the few sites that it was on. Their interface annoyed me. Specifically the way they served defaults. They forced you to give them only an image or redirect URL, which not all networks provide. A “rich media redirect” (or a link to an .html page) is the way to go. Or at least allow me to paste the code in, like Casale does.
– Bubs out of the chain on the one site it was on. Nothing they did really. They just didn’t have any ads for me. They told me this might be the case, but I wanted to give them a shot, anyway.
– Google AdSense bumped up in the chain. AdSense is now only behind Tribal Fusion (which I can only display on one site), so they will be getting a bunch more impressions.
– Google AdSense color adjustments. Basically, the blending in of ads. They all fit in now with the look of the site and fit in seamlessly (no borders).
– Addition of Hurricane Digital Media. I read good things about them over at the SitePoint Forums, so I decided to give them a shot as an end redirect on a number of sites (any sites that I have a decent amount of traffic coming to and that fell under the RightMedia traffic requirements).
– Addition of AdBrite. Only on phpBBHacks.com, people can buy ads through AdBrite (the traffic numbers are off for the moment, give it a week). Going to give it a try.
– Integrating ads with phpBB and Nucleus CMS a bit (more on this later).
– Putting padding around the Google link ads that didn’t already have it.
Hopefully… hopefully… this leads to me earning substantially more while not infringing much on the user experience.