Community management insight at ManagingCommunities.com

“Griffey Won’t Rule Out Being Yank”

March 31, 2005

From the New York Daily Times:

“To be honest I never thought I would hit 500 home runs, or even 400,” Griffey said. “The one person I wanted to be like was my dad, and he wasn’t a home run hitter. Numbers don’t mean anything. There’s only one number that means anything to me: how many championships do the Yankees have, 26? That’s the number. How many have I got?”

He pointed to his bare ring finger and said: “That’s all I want.”

It may be too late to mean much, but Griffey, who has a no-trade clause, says he would no longer be opposed to playing for the Yankees.

A few things. I’ve always liked Griffey. In his prime, it’s hard to think of anyone you’d rather have in CF in the history of the game. He was that good. I met him years ago when he was still in Seattle and at the height of his success/popularity. I got his autograph. He seemed like a nice enough guy, really and I’ve always remembered that.

I’ve always been interested in having him come to the Yankees and play left (when we had Bernie, O’Neill and … some other guy in the OF), not center – that’s Bernie’s spot and I’m loyal. But, if Bernie is gone next year… it might be cool. But, he’s got issues. He’s 36 next year (the age Bernie is this year) and, of course, the injury thing. Still, if no one jumps at us and Bernie is out, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Via Pro Sports Daily.

8 Responses to ““Griffey Won’t Rule Out Being Yank””

1. Michael says:

No Way!

In no way shape or form do I want Griffey becoming a beloved Yank.

It would make me feel the way I did when Canseco became a Yankee. yuck.

2. Patrick says:

Why? To mention him with Canseco is really rough. Griffey’s an appealing ambassador of the game who is naturally talented – no one’s ever suspected him as steroids. Clean cut, respectful of those that came before him. What’s not to like?

We’d be so much better off if it was Griffey chasing down Hank Aaron instead of Barry Bonds. We wouldn’t have statements of wiping the Babe out of the books or so much steroid stuff. Baseball’s image would be better.

3. Michael says:

These are not my words, but they work here:

From: http://www.widewordofsports

The bottom line is that Junior is just a big, whiny baby who was so highly touted that he took his talents for granted. His love for the game was extremely overshadowed by his love for himself. He wants to be the center of attention, but he doesn’t want to be a leader. His proper place is in a sandbox and not a batter’s box.

4. Patrick says:

I don’t share that guys viewpoint. Nothing he details (with or without the conjecture) is what I would consider whiny. It’s pretty flimsy. In fact, we can flip this and say he sounds like the whiny (and bitter) one because Griffey refused to play for the Mets. It sounds like some of the Red Sox fans that slam A-Rod. If Griffey can control where he goes and he wants to go to a particular place, why not? Is Randy Johnson a whiner then? A-Rod? If you say Griffey is, then I would believe that you are saying they are, as well. As far as knowing what kind of leader he is, who knows.

And I met him, like I said. It was just for a few seconds, sure. We didn’t talk. But, he was amicable. This was at the height of his fame. It counts for something in my eyes. A first hand experience, if you will.

5. Michael says:

Well maybe I’m a little bitter too.

For all things considered, I think Griffey has too big of an ego. That might have changed over the years of his injuries. I don’t think he could be a leader in the Yankees clubhouse. And I definitely don’t think he can sit there and say during his press conference that this is Jeter’s team, as did A-Rod.

6. Patrick says:

(I’ve been editing that last comment I made. :))

What would you be bitter about?

7. Michael says:

I’m bitter about Griffey’s original statement about not wanting to play for the Yankees. That imo stems from having too big of an ego.

Are there any players in MLB that you just can’t see in Yankee pinstripes? Griffey was one for me, as was Canseco. Honestly, it took a while before I adjusted to Strawberry.

8. Patrick says:

About the Griffey statement, it bugged me… but I can understand it. I have similar feelings toward people and companies that treated me badly when I was a kid. Like, when I called up a music store when I was like 12. I could tell the guy was just totally lying to me and wasn’t giving me the time of day, depite the fact that I was being polite, etc. I still would harbor feelings toward that store (as far as ever working there, shopping there again), but I could overcome them, just like Griffey can overcome his. I really don’t mind them.

Players that I would never want… Pedro Martinez, Jason Varitek jump out at me right away.

READ BEFORE COMMENTING: Participation constitutes agreement to my User Guidelines, which are stricter than most other blogs', so please read them before commenting. No advertising (posting links to your site), inflammatory (flaming) remarks, vulgarities (any kind of profanity that you can imagine) or questions about my guidelines or comment deletions. I generally try to maintain a family friendly atmosphere here. Please keep this in mind. Here are a few common examples of comments that will be deleted:

• Any comment featuring a link to your blog or to any site you are affiliated with - even if you feel it is related - unless I asked for it, specifically. If you have a link to share, awesome, but please contact me directly
  • Asking why your comment was deleted. Please contact me instead. I'm happy to help.
  • Attacking me or fellow commenter instead of attacking their point.
Please be sure to treat your fellow users and my guidelines with respect. I'm happy to have you here.

Please note that all comments made on entries that are at least 14 days old are moderated.

Current day month ye@r *