It stinks when you don’t have programming knowledge…

I have 2 site ideas that I would really like to do, but my lack of programming knowledge is holding me back. :(

Stinks.

Patrick O'Keefe

Managing online communities since 2000, I publish a collective of websites known as the iFroggy Network. I wrote the book Managing Online Forums and, as a public speaker, have presented for organizations like CNN, institutions like Australian National University and conferences like SXSW. More about me.

10 Comments

Cheah Chu Yeow

about 15 years ago

I have great faith in your ideas considering how far you've come. Share them with me if you're willing to :)

Patrick

about 15 years ago

Hey,

I really appreciate the sentiment. I'll keep that in mind.

Keith

about 15 years ago

I'm kind of in the same boat Patrick. You're already a member of some great resouceful communities. Use them to your advantage and try and learn PHP :)

Patrick

about 15 years ago

Can't. No time. I have tried, but it just hasn't stuck. Maybe because I have too much on my mind.

Keith

about 15 years ago

If you ever need a helping hand just let me know, altough you know I'm still learning PHP myself :p

Patrick

about 15 years ago

I appreciate that, Keith.

Unfortunately, I couldn't know enough to program a script as good as I would want. :)

JohnMcK

about 15 years ago

Sounds like the key would be finding someone who does have the necessary skills. This way, each of you brings something to the table.

Patrick

about 15 years ago

Hey,

Yeah, that is an idea, of course. But, one issue is that I am not looking to transfer the slightest bit of ownership of any site I create to another person, so partnering in that way wouldn't work. So, it comes down to compensation.

I can pay a little bit, but far far less what I need is worth. I can also offer some ad space and a free domain, etc. It would be rare that someone I am comfortable with would be willing to work with that.

So, it comes down to a good friend taking pity on me and helping me, basically. ;)

JohnMcK

about 15 years ago

Hmm, I certainly understand that business model, and sympathize with the desire to maintain it.

Patrick

about 15 years ago

Yeah.

At the same time, I hope that one day I am big enough where I can pay a good programmer a good salary. That time just isn't now.

On the flip side, I can offer some stuff... I mean, a little money, some solid ad space (help in the search engine rankings) and the maybe referrals from other people I know who do have the money... you never know.

Anyway, that's life. Its the classic problem. Idea people. Web designers. Programmers. Tough to be all three and have a heck of a lot going. :)

Thanks for stopping by, too, John.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. If you would like to comment, I welcome you to do so. Please keep in mind that the atmosphere here is kind, respectful and work appropriate. If you can't disagree without being polite, this probably isn't the best place to comment.

I'm probably more strict as far as advertising goes than other sites you've commented on. If you aren't sure if something is OK, please contact me privately (rather than in the comments) or read the full Comment Guidelines. Participation constitutes acceptance of the guidelines.